ESPN's Bottom Line Widget

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Whatever happended to Sylvain Lefebvre?



Interview with Sylvain Lefebvre:

Where do you live now?
I still have a house in the Eastern Townships but during the hockey season, I’m in Cleveland.

What are you doing now?

I’m an assistant coach with the Lake Erie Monsters, in the AHL. It’s a pretty consuming job. We start in September but you never know when the season is going to finish.

How many Canadiens games do you watch per year?
In my line of work, I watch as many as possible. I try to stay on top of what’s happening in the NHL, especially since we have so many players that get called up or are sent down. I want to get as much information as possible. And, since many if not most NHL teams employ the same system as their farm team, I watch Canadiens games to prepare our game plan against the Hamilton Bulldogs.

When was the last time you were in Montreal to watch a game?
About two years ago.


I’ve gone a few times with my sons.

Who is your favorite player on the current roster?
I played with Alex Kovalev when I was with the Rangers. He can be such a dominant player. I’ve always appreciated his talent and been blown away by his offensive skills and his stickhandling. I have really good memories of him. To have raw talent like that, that’s pretty impressive.

Of all you’ve collected and still have from your years with the Canadiens, what’s your favorite?
I still have the puck from my first goal. It’s in a little frame and it says who had the assists and how the goal was scored. It was against Clint Malarchuk and the Sabres. I have team photos as well. I also kept my sticks. Although, they’re wooden so maybe termites found themselves a feast!

Have you kept in touch with any former teammates?
Stephan Lebeau lives near me Jocelyn Thibault, who I played with in Quebec City and Colorado. He also lives near me. Mike Keane is still playing with the Manitoba Moose, and they’re in the same division as us so I see him often. Other than that, there are a few others, like Stephane Richer and Sergio Momesso, who I’ve seen as part of Canadiens Alumni activities.

How many times per year do you lace up the skates?
I put them on for every practice but as a coach, you don’t exert as much energy as you would as a player. Also, one of my sons plays for the Junior AAA Champlain College Cougars, so during the summer, he and I, along with his friends, skate together or sometimes play a game.

You won a Stanley Cup in Colorado. Where do you keep your ring?
I can’t tell you…it’s a secret! Seriously, though, I don’t wear it often, it’s too big. I take it out for special occasions; I don’t show it to just anyone. Sometimes, when I was coaching Junior AAA, I would wear it to motivate the players. Regardless of what championship it is, whether a Stanley Cup or your league’s title, you experience tough times and hardships, not only as a player but as a people too, that make you grow. It’s something I keep close to my heart.


Sylvain Lefebvre only played 4 season with the Habs through 1989-1992. He played 200 games, he had 11 goals and 42 assist in that spand.

Written By Andrew Di Pardo

No comments:

Post a Comment