ESPN's Bottom Line Widget

Sunday, March 15, 2009

BRODEUR TIES ROY'S ALL TIME WINS RECORD


Martin Brodeur made history in Montreal last night, by winning game 501 in his career. Brodeur now shares the All-time win record with St.Patrick (Patrick Roy).Brodeur received a long post-game standing ovation from the sellout crowd at the Bell Center."This is definitely the best setting there was for me to tie Patrick's record - in Montreal," said Brodeur. "With the attention of the media, people could get a taste of it.I don't want to offend anyone, but Montreal is what hockey's all about, and for me to be here for this, it's definitely a perfect day for me." Patrick Roy took a night off from coach in the Quebec league to come down to the Bell Center and see if Brodeur would tie his record.

"It was important for me to come and talk to him and express to him how happy I am for him," said Roy. "I know how hard he had to work to get there. He deserves it all.I'm very happy to be here to see that moment. I think it's great for the game of hockey."Patrick Elias and Brian Rolston scored in the first period and Jamie Langenbrunner added a late goal in the 3rd period for the Devils.Tomas Plekanec scored the lone goal for Montreal in the 3-1 lose. Brodeur can brake Roy's record on Tuesday in New Jersey against the Blackhawks.

Written By Andrew Di Pardo

No comments:

Post a Comment