ESPN's Bottom Line Widget

Friday, March 27, 2009

The Canadiens win 2 in-a-row due to a O.T winner by Koivu



The Canadiens were up 2-0 late in the third with goals from Alex Kovalev and Guillaume Latendresse. But the Lightning never gave up David Koci put the lightning within 1. They were not done yet,Lukas Krajicek scored to tie the game at 2-2 and force overtime. Just 1:45 into overtime,Tampa's goalie crease was crowded when Saku Koivu put the puck in the net for a 3-2 win."I saw the net was wide open and maybe I got too excited about it," Koivu said. "I think I hit his glove, but then I got the rebound and I just wanted to get it in. I think it hit someone." "I was on my knees and couldn't poke-check the puck or anything," a dejected St. Louis said.

Throught the game, the Canadiens outshot the Bolts 36-19, marking the first time this season they have gave up less than 20 shots."I didn't like the way we lost the 2-0 lead," said Koivu. "I think there was some miscommunication on their second goal.That was a tough one. But I felt with the way we played and the chances we were getting, we'd get a goal. We played a good team game. We'd like to have won 2-0 and got the confidence from that, but we'll take whatever we get at this stage of the year."

The 2 goals that Price allowed were weak shots, but Gainey said he is not going to blame anyone for blowing the lead."Preferably, we could have kept the lead, but I like the way we played," he said. "We need the points,that's important.But the most important thing is we were reliable and consistent throughout the game."With the win it was Gaineys first time this season since taking over as head coach that he lead the Canadiens to 2 straight wins. The Canadiens will look for there 3rd straight win on Saturday against the Sabers.

Written by Andrew Di Pardo

No comments:

Post a Comment