ESPN's Bottom Line Widget

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

GIONTA HAS BEEN NAMED THE CANADIENS NEW CAPTAIN

































Today in Montreal, the Canadiens have named a captain and his name is  Brian Gionta and they named the 2 alternates who are Andrei Markov and Hal Gill. Gionta is the Habs 28th Canadiens captain in 101 years of  history. But there has been a twist in the tail. Gionta is the 2nd American born captain of Montreal. The only other player in Habs history that was from America that was the Habs captain was Chris Chelios. But like the Canadiens had said at there golf tournament "we don't talk politics." Not like it matters where he's from as long as he deserves to be the captain. "He does deserves it," said teammate Scott Gomez. "He's a hard worker, he's great with the young guys, he's great with (the media)."

The Habs last captain was Saku Koivu (second longest captain in Habs history) now the Habs captain is Gionta."It's one of the most storied franchises in the league. It's obviously quite an honour,” said Gionta. “I'm real excited about it, but obviously, with all the guys, the hall of famers who have come through here, it's pretty special.”

After going through the Habs first season with out a captain the Canadiens will have high hopes for Gionta so is there some added pressure on him?"I don't think it's any added pressure. You just go out and play. I'm just a quiet guy. I just go about my business. I do things by example, I guess. I'm not the rah-rah guy. I just try to work hard and compete for my teammates," Gionta said. Last season Gionta lead Montreal in goals last season with 28 goals and he was 4th on the team in points (46). Gionta will make his debut as Captain sometime this week.

Written By Andrew Di Pardo

1 comment:

  1. Hey Andrew...

    We have connection up in the woods.

    See you tomorrow.

    Mom and Dad

    PS-- Nice artwork!!!

    ReplyDelete