ESPN's Bottom Line Widget

Saturday, September 5, 2009

What happened to Phil Goyette?


Do you wonder whatever happened to Phill Goyette? If you do you will like this interview from:
http://ourhistory.canadiens.com/article/Where-Are-They-Now-Phil-Goyette

Where do you live now?

I live in Lachine.

What are you up to these days?
I’m retired now. I stay in shape in the summer by playing a lot of golf. I probably play about five rounds a week, just trying to keep my score respectable. At my age, the ball doesn’t go quite as far, but I still shoot between 85 and 95. I play with Elmer Lach, who is 92 years old, and his drives might be a little shorter than they used to be but he definitely hasn’t lost his touch out there.

Where did you work after you retired from hockey?
I was actually working even while I was playing for the Canadiens. It’s only been about 10 years since I stopped working. Before that, I worked for 43 years as a ­paralegal in the import/export industry. Back then, we had to work even when we played – let’s just say the salaries didn’t really compare to what they’re making today.

How did that work with your employer at the time?
It worked really well. It was good for the company having me there as a professional hockey player. I also bought a lot of shares pretty early on and naturally, when you’ve invested in the company, you work harder to make sure it’s successful. I’ve sold all my shares, though, and the company is now owned by FedEx.

How often do you lace up the skates per year?
Just to get the legs going now and then. Some years, I go a little more often, but otherwise probably once a week. It changes things up in the winter. I haven’t taken off for Florida yet; I’m still way too young for that!

So you think Florida might be your next move?
No, for now, I spend about a week there in the winer and I’m already excited to come home. My grand-kids are there so I want to be near them. I didn’t really see my own kids grow up because I was always on the road, so I really want to make sure I’m there to see my grandchildren as much as possible.

Are you still in touch with your former teammates?
I see the ones who still live around here quite regularly with the Canadiens Alumni.

How many Canadiens games do you watch each season?
I watch a few every season. It’s tough with the number of teams now to even keep up with all the players around the league. I’m just not as into it anymore. But when I know there’s going to be a lot of emotion or a big rivalry, I’ll make my way to the Bell Centre to check out the game.

What’s your most valued souvenir or piece of memorabilia that you’ve held on to since your playing days?
Definitely my replica Stanley Cup and all the other replica trophies, both the individual and team awards. But the first Cup is absolutely the most important to me. Other than that, probably the Lady Byng I won while I was with St. Louis.

Where do you keep your Stanley Cup ring?
I only ever received one ring – for the Cup we won in 1960 – and I wear it all the time. Today when the guys win, their rings are so big they can’t even wear them. Mine is the perfect size!

No comments:

Post a Comment