ESPN's Bottom Line Widget

Friday, September 18, 2009

HABS WIN PRESEASON OPENER


Last night in Montreal, the Canadiens started there preseason with a 3-2 win over the Panthers. It all started with just 2 minutes to go in the first, when Scott Gomez redirects the shot from Jaroslav Spacek into the back of the net. Then in the second period it Andrei Kostitsyn passes the puck to Mike Cammalleri in the slot who one timed the puck into the back of the net. Matt D'agostini would add a goal late in the second to put Montreal up 3-0. The Panthers would go on to score 2 goals by David Booth and Evgeni Dadonov as the Habs will pick up the win by the score of 3-2.

"I'd like to say it's a great moment, but I'm sure that when you score a regular season goal with this sweater on it's going to be a lot different," said Gomez, who joined the Canadiens in a trade from the New York Rangers this summer.It's a good feeling, but a pre-season goal is still a pre-season goal. It's still hockey and I still love to score. I don't get too many of them. It's neat to see young guys score because I've been in that situation. They'll probably be on the phone all night with mom and dad and friends. But the older you get."

"I've got to admit since I was a kid I remember hearing, 'La premiere etoile!"' Cammalleri said. "That's something that me and my dad would always tease about, we'd say those words. He's here tonight so I'm sure it was special for him as well." The Habs next game will be tonight against Kovalev and the Senators.

Written by Andrew Di Pardo

No comments:

Post a Comment