ESPN's Bottom Line Widget

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Guy Carbonneau wants to know why He was Let Go


Today in Toronto,Guy Carbonneau talked to TSN's Hockey annalist Darren Dreger. Dreger asked Carbonneau if he was surprised by his dismissal."I was shocked. Not that I thought that everything was rosy and perfect," Carbonneau told Dreger and co-host Bill Watters. "I knew the team was not playing up to our potential for different reasons, but I thought that we were starting to turn things around, we were starting to get a lot healthier. I think our goaltending situation was getting stronger. I didn't expect that when we faced adversity for the first time I was going to get fired."

"I don't know what happened," said Carbonneau. "I don't know who made the decision. Obviously Bob was the one who had to deliver that decision. I know it wasn't easy for him to call me and give me the news. Maybe in the next couple of months, next couple of years I'll know a little bit more about what happened, but it's not something that keeps me awake or wakes me up in the morning." Guy Carbonneau also talked about Price raising his arms in reaction to the fans booes in the playoffs.

"I think Carey is going to be a star in this league, and definitely for the Montreal Canadiens. But the goaltender situation in this league – and no disrespect to Patrick Roy or Martin Brodeur - but I think it's a tougher job now than it's ever been. There's a lot of pressure to win, and win quickly. It seems that every time a team loses, the fault is always the goaltender's. I think Carey is under pressure of being in a tough place, but he is going to learn. I think Bob made it pretty clear that he wanted to put him in a situation where he's going to learn quickly, and to learn quickly you have to fall off the horse once in a while to be able to get up quicker and learn from it."

Carbonneau was also asked about the Vincent Lecavalier offer(That 3 Canadiens players names were said in the media). "I don't know every secret or every transaction or every discussion that Gainey had with other GM's around the league, but we definitely talked every day about how we could improve the Montreal Canadiens – what's working and what's not working, who's playing well and who's not. I was aware at some point – not early in the discussions – that there was talk, and that's all I know," said Carbonneau.

Carbonneau was aksed if he was invovoled in Bob Gainey's decison to sit Kovalev down for 2 games."We had discussions with Bob (Gainey), like everything else. We discuss a lot of things every day, and I think Bob decided to have a conversation with Alex, and it was mainly his decision that we should give him the rest," said Carbonneau.

Written By Andrew Di Pardo

No comments:

Post a Comment