ESPN's Bottom Line Widget

Monday, October 1, 2012

GRETZKY SPEAKS ABOUT THE LOCKOUT; WILL THERE BE A 2013 WINTER CLASSIC?

From Gretzky's Last NHL game in 1998

















       
                 Today, Wayne Gretzky (AKA "the Great One") spoke about the NHL lockout and is optimistic in thinking that it will end by January 1st 2013 (the day of the Winter Classic). Gretzky believes that the NHL would lose too much money if they cancel the 2013 Winter Classic between the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Detroit Red Wings."I believe in my heart, maybe because I'm such a big hockey fan, that they will be playing by Jan. 1," said Gretzky. "Now that there is a salary cap in place, and revenue sharing, I see them ultimately getting a deal done here and I see them playing hockey this year. The only thing I will say is the commissioner's office and Donald Fehr and the players' association are very smart men, they're both very intelligent.It's a matter of sitting down and getting the deal done." There is no time frame on when the NHL and NHLPA will meet again. So expect to see some NHL games being cancelled by the end of this week.

Written By Andrew Di Pardo

No comments:

Post a Comment