ESPN's Bottom Line Widget

Friday, June 19, 2009

Jean Beliveau Wins the NHL LifeTime Achievement Award


Last night in Las Vagas it was the NHL awards ceremony. At the NHL awards ceremony Jean Beliveau was awarded the NHL life time achievement award. "I've always said that personal records come after the team records," the 77-year-old Béliveau told CBC Sports Hall of Fame broadcaster Dick Irvin as part of the Canadiens' 100th anniversary season. "Play for the team."Jean Beliveau has won 4 Stanley Cups and all other NHL trophies from the Art Ross and Hart to the Conn Smythe. Before the 1961 season the Canadiens needed a captain. Beliveau ended up with the position. Beliveau talked about how he became the captain last night. This is how it came to be:

"Toe called me, and he said, 'Jean, you know that we have to vote for captain, can you come?' I was in a cast but I said, 'Sure,'" remembered Béliveau. "Toe came out from this little room and came towards me, shook my hand and said, 'Boys, here's your new captain.'I couldn't believe it, I almost fell off the bench. It was a big surprise."

"I was not even an assistant captain. It's one of my achievements after the Stanley Cups, it's certainly one of the nicest things that could happen to me in my life."When I was named captain, I got up after Toe shook my hand and I told my teammates, 'If you think I can be of any help with your career, even with personal situations or family [matters], my line is open 24 hours." According to Dick Irvin Beliveau ended his Career in the right matter by winning the cup with Chicago.

"Watching Béliveau carrying the Cup in Chicago was special," Irvin told CBC. "It was his 10th Stanley Cup and, to me, that was a wonderful moment for the history of the Canadiens because he meant so much to them." As you can see Beliveau deserved this award. Now it's official Beliveau has won all of the NHL awards.

Written By Andrew Di Pardo

No comments:

Post a Comment