ESPN's Bottom Line Widget

Sunday, May 16, 2010

INTERVIEW WITH HALAK FROM GOALIES WORLD MAGAZINE


Interview with Jaroslav Halak:
1. Jaroslav you are listed at 5 foot 11, 185 pounds. By today's standards you are a small goalie. Still, you show impressive stats, much better than bigger goalies? Do you fell your size is a disadvantage at times?
Every one talks about small goalies; they say this and that. But it's not size that matters it's how you play. I try to make myself as big as possible. Maybe it's a disadvantage once in a while and so I have to be faster than bigger goalies. When a big goalie wants to move side to side he doesn't take as long as me. I'm having a good season so people have mentioned it lately, But at first everyone was saying I was small. That's OK; I have no problem with that.I don't know what it's like to be 6 foot 3 . I wish I knew so I can tell you if it's a advantage or not.
2. Stylewise how would you describe yourself?
When I was 19 Melanson would help me a lot with style and positioning. I was playing small and now I play big. I appreciate what he's done for me. My style is a little bit of both stand up and butterfly.
3.What would you say the keys to your game are? What are the things you have to remind yourself of? Things like I MUST DO THIS AND I MUST NOT DO THAT.
I just try to have fun on the ice and help the team during the game.But you can't think out there. You have to focus and just do it.
4. Tell us a little bit about growing up in Slovakia. How did you get interested in hockey and why did you chose to play goalie?
Everyone asked me the same question but I really don't know the answer. I wanted to be a goalie when I was 3 years old, probably because of the equipment but I did not begin playing hockey until I was 8. Before that I played street and pond hockey.
5.Your competition with Carey Price?How would you describe your relationship?
It's teamwork. We are both young goalies wanting to play but we are supportive of each other. We are here for one reason and that's to win.
6. You came close to winning a bronze at the Olympics. Tell us about the experience.
I did not even know if I was the number one or if it would be Budaj or Stana, but things worked out well for me. I played the first game and the coach had confidence in me. We came so close to winning a metal but that's hockey. One goal often makes the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment